Header Image
Course Open
Widnes Golf Club

The decision to form a golf club at Widnes was taken at a meeting in the Town Hall on 12 January 1923. However, the members had to wait until 17 May of the following year to see the President, Dr G C Clayton, drive off the first tee to open the 9 hole course. The delay was due to the inability of the land Trustees to conclude a quick transaction, coupled with indecision on the part of the Committee as to whether to buy or rent the land. The deal was concluded when the United Alkali Company, later to become ICI, offered to buy the land and lease it to the club. In contrast, the clubhouse was built and occupied within three months. Lady membership was a feature from the start, laying down the foundations for an active and supportive Ladies Section.

The nearby Woolton Golf Club was influential in the foundation of Widnes as two of the main instigators, John Hardman and Dr Sam McCausland, were both Woolton members and they became the first two Widnes Captains. The professional at Woolton also helped to map out the new course on Lower House Farm and one of his assistants became the first Widnes professional. In 1925 a further 6 holes were built and by 1929 the full complement of 18 holes were in play. An extensive tree planting scheme at that time was not a success due to the unfortunate atmospheric conditions that prevailed. Sadly the greenkeeper’s horse, Dolly, was put down having been deemed unfit for work. Her value was removed from the Balance Sheet at a cost of £14 and when her 8 year old successor was found to be suffering from a cold the Council kindly bought a horse blanket. The club moved into the mechanical age in 1931 with the purchase of a second-hand tractor.

In 1952, having survived the ravages of the Second World War, the club was obliged to accept a loss of land when ICI sold some for housing. The 1960’s brought better fortune for the club, even if this was partly due to the misfortune of another. The closure of the Mersey Golf Club at Fiddlers Ferry when their clubhouse burnt down brought an influx of welcome new members. In 1963 negotiations were completed with Lancashire County Council for the purchase of some extra adjacent land. The new course layout was officially opened with a Pro/Am competition on 11 June 1967 and at the end of that year the Trustees of the club succeeded in completing the purchase from ICI of the freehold for the sum of £5,000. As owners of their own land the club now had the confidence to extend and refurbish the clubhouse over the ensuing years.

In 1998 the members were informed by Council of the possibility of part of the ground on which the club was located being developed for housing and a plan was evolved with a developer to re-house the course on a new purpose-built site to the north of the town. After many years of protracted negotiations it would appear as those plans have not come to fruition.

Widnes joined the Society when their 1969 Captain, Ray Pownall, and five Past-Captains were admitted on 20 March 1970. Their membership had been conditional on the Captains agreeing to wear red tail coats on all formal occasions, which they were happy to do.  Norman Rigby was the first from Widnes to serve as Society Captain (1979/80) followed by Peter Hurst (2006/07). Norman also served as President of the Lancashire Golf Union, and Peter has been the Honorary Secretary of the Society since 2009.

CAPTAINS OF WIDNES GOLF CLUB
 1924  J Hardman 
 1925 J Hardman 
 1926 S M McCausland 
 1927 E Hartland 
 1928 J E Hughes 
 1929 W E Jones 
 1930 T Swale 
 1931 J Swale 
 1932 W E Ireland 
 1933 W Joynson 
 1934 R Calland 
 1935 J H Davies 
 1936 R Tomlinson 
 1937 A D Haws 
 1938 H N Hughes 
 1939 W Owens 
 1940 A Williams 
 1941 J Holt 
 1942 J Holt 
 1943 J Holt 
 1944 J Holt 
 1945 J Holt 
 1946 J Timmins 
 1947 F H Hume 
 1948 W Stevenson 
 1949 E Bailey 
 1950 E G Patterson 
 1951 G L Park 
 1952 W H Nickson 
 1953 F N Kitchen 
 1954 H Jackson 
 1955 D B R Whitfield 
 1956 A Hartles 
 1957 A Radley 
 1958 H Kerfoot 
 1959 C Nelson 
 1960 J D Jones 
 1961 E Wilson 
 1962 N O'B Baker 
 1963 Dr P Hurst 
 1964 K Jackson 
 1965 H Morris 
 1966 M F Johnson 
 1967 M M Chisell 
 1968 J N Rigby 
 1969 R Pownall 
 1970 J E Burke 
 1971 A Daintith 
 1972 W Whittaker 
 1973 Dr G M Paddle 
 1974 E G Patterson 
 1975 H Gow 
 1976 J A Hogg 
 1977 C Varley 
 1978 R Hunt 
1979 Dr C L Imison
1980 W H Evans 
1981 Dr S Sunderland 
1982 D Howard 
1983 J S Black 
1984 R Jones 
1985 P J Green 
1986 J Rogers 
1987 T R Adams 
1988 M Barrow 
1989 P H Hurst 
1990 F P Roberts 
1991 R Williamson 
1992 M E Tickle 
1993 G B Wilson 
1994 J M Phillips 
1995 K A Fletcher 
1996 J E Atherton 
1997 M R Jones 
1998 C N Kevan 
1999 A F Mansley 
2000 A Jennion 
2001 A Seddon 
2002 G Grace 
2003 J Stonehouse 
2004  R C Masters 
2005 D Gould 
2006 D Ormesher 
2007 J Penney 
2008 V D Jackson 
2009 F C Tobin 
2010 P Morris 
2011 J B Mawer 
2012 Dr A K Irving 
2013  J C McNally 
2014 J J Price 
2015  L A Horrocks 
2016  M A Wyatt 
2017  G A Bradshaw 
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   

 

Back to top of page

© Society of Liverpool Golf Captains  |  Disclaimer / Privacy  |  Login
CLUBView Content Management Provided by WEBCreative UK Ltd